Registration is OPEN! If you are interested in joining us as a Junior Counselor please contact Sara Horwitz at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Children’s Museum Vacation Science Camp
Junior Counselor Program!
Open to youth ages 12-15 (must be entering at least 7th grade)
This one week program will run concurrently with your preferred Vacation Science Camp theme week.
Photo taken Summer 2019
The JC program is a leadership development program. It is an educational opportunity for youth entering 7th grade or older to gain experience and knowledge in The Children’s Museum Vacation Science Camp setting. We aim to facilitate the growth of future leaders and help mold JC participants into outstanding camp counselors.
Do you want to be a Junior Counselor?
This summer you could be-
- Spending time with one of our classroom animals and assist in the daily husbandry they require.
- Working one on one, yet at a distance, with younger campers to do crafts, games, and science experiments.
- Presenting your own animal demonstration for a group of campers.
- Assisting teachers with designing, setting up, and cleaning up camp activities such as games, crafts, and demonstrations.
- Presenting a science topic that interests you to a group of young campers.
- Helping to run outdoor games including soccer, tag, and capture the flag.
Due to the State of Connecticut’s regulations put in place for camp, we have made a few changes to our JC program.
Here is what has changed with the Junior Counselor program for 2020-
- Children ages 12-15 can be Junior Counselors! They must complete the application process and be approved by our Camp Director.
- Our Junior Counselors will not be moving to different groups and will stay in the same group throughout the day to maintain the 10 child group limit.
- We will have daily animal demonstrations, but animals will be presented in a way to minimize cross-contamination. At this time, due to safety regulations, Junior Counselors will not be able to touch the animals during the demonstrations.
- We will have a couple of “classroom pets” that can be touched (such as a reptile and an invertebrate). JC’s can be involved in the care and handling of these animals.
- Unfortunately, Junior Counselors will not be able to go behind the scenes of the sanctuary to help pack and unpack animals this summer.
- Because we are limited to 20 spaces for all campers, Junior Counselors and campers will be paying the same rate to participate for the week.
To participate in the program, applicants must fill out the application form prior to their acceptance. Participants must commit at least 1 full week with camp, with camp hours running from 9:00 am-4:00 pm.
If accepted to the JC program, JC must show proof of a medical physical examination (within the last 3 years) and proof of up to date immunizations.
Each JC will have assignments and responsibilities during the camp day. The camp director and educators will guide the JC with these activities.
This process is meant for the candidate to complete on their own, which means that if there are any questions or concerns, you should reach out, NOT YOUR PARENTS. Your application should show that you can be as independent and reliable as any camp staff member. You must have approval from the camp director no later than one week before the camp week you are joining. SPACE IS LIMITED, FILL OUT YOUR APPLICATION TODAY !
- JC Application: Fully complete the application. Please note that you should indicate which weeks that you are available. You will be able to rank which program you would most like to be in, but please check your summer calendar before submitting that portion.
- One Reference: Print out the JC Application Reference Form and have it filled out by one adult who can speak to your character and work ethic. References cannot be family members.
- Completed and signed 2020 Camp Waiver: If you have any questions about our waiver to attend camp please email Sara at email@example.com
- The Children’s Museum requires a current health form and if you require medication an authorization and a pre-filled information form is required to administer any required medications. (for parent)
- Additionally, please fill out a Photo Release Form. (for parent)
Forms for the STUDENT to complete:
Please make a copy of your application to keep for your records and send one to Sara Horwitz in one of the following ways:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sending by mail: 950 Trout Brook Drive, West Hartford CT, 06119, Attention Sara Horwitz
- Dropping off in person to the Children’s Museum Administration Building (Typically open Monday-Friday 9-4.
Once we have received your completed application we will reach out to let you know if you have been accepted to our JC program. If you are accepted, an email will be sent to your parents/guardians to formally enroll.
Additional Forms for the PARENT to complete after your child has been accepted into the JC program:
- 2020 JUNIOR COUNSELOR WAIVER
- JC HEALTH FORM
- JC PHOTO RELEASE
- JC AUTHORIZATION FOR THE ADMINISTRATION OF MEDICATIONS
- JC PRE-FILLED MEDICATION INFORMATION FORM
Any questions or concerns, please reach out to:
Sara Horwitz – Camp Manager
E: email@example.com (preferred method of communication)
Photo taken Summer 2019