As of today we have not canceled summer camp! We will know more in the following weeks as the State of Connecticut makes its decision on the regulations regarding summer camp this year. Although we have not canceled, we are not processing payments. However, we are excepting reservations for this year’s Summer Vacation Science Camp Junior Counselor Program. When we know more we will contact you to complete payment for camp! If you are interested in joining us as a Junior Counselor please contact Sara Horwitz at email@example.com
The Children’s Museum Vacation Science Camp
Junior Counselor Program!
Open to youth ages 12-15 (must be entering at least 7th grade)
Junior Counselor prices are not finalized and may change depending on the additional costs associated with new state regulations regarding the COVID pandemic. Reservations are not binding and can be canceled at any time. The prices below should only act as a guide.
This one week program will run concurrently with your preferred Vacation Science Camp theme week.
The JC Program is a leadership development program. It is an educational opportunity for youth entering 7th grade or older to gain experience and knowledge in The Children’s Museum Vacation Science Camp setting. We aim to facilitate the growth for future leaders and help mold JC participants into outstanding camp counselors.
In the past Junior Counselors have:
- Spent time with our animals behind the scenes in the Wildlife Sanctuary
- Worked one on one with younger campers to do crafts, games, and science experiments
- Presented their own animal demonstration for a group of campers
- Assisted teachers with designing, setting up and cleaning up a camp activity
- Presented to campers a science topic that interested them
- Helped run outdoor games including soccer, tag and capture the flag
To participate in the program, applicants must fill out the application form prior to their acceptance. Participants must commit at least 1 full week with camp, with camp hours running from 9:00am-4:00pm.
If accepted to the JC program, JC must show proof of a medical physical examination (within the last 3 years) and proof of up to date immunizations.
Each JC will have assignments and responsibilities during the camp day. The camp director and educators will guide the JC with these activities.
This process is meant for the candidate to complete on their own, which means that if there are any questions or concerns, you should reach out, NOT YOUR PARENTS. Your application should show that you can be as independent and reliable as any camp staff member. Please turn in your application at least ONE week prior to your preferred camp session. You must have approval from the camp director no later than Friday before the camp week.
- JC Application: Fully complete the application. Please note that you should indicate which weeks that you are available. You will be able to rank which program you would most like to be in, but please check your summer calendar before submitting that portion.
- One Reference: Print out the JC Application Reference Form and have it filled out by one adult who can speak to your character and work ethic. References cannot be family members.
- The Children’s Museum requires a current health form and authorization to administer any required medications. (for parent)
- Additionally, please fill out a Photo Release Form. (for parent)
Forms for the STUDENT to complete:
Please make a copy of your application to keep for your records and send one to Sara Horwitz in one of the following ways:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sending by mail: 950 Trout Brook Drive, West Hartford CT, 06119, Attention Sara Horwitz
- Dropping off in person to the Children’s Museum Administration Building (Typically open Monday-Friday 9-4.
Once we have received your completed application we will reach out to let you know if you have been accepted to our JC program. If you are accepted, an email will be sent to your parents/guardians to formally enroll.
Additional Forms for the PARENT to complete after your child has been accepted into the JC program:
Any questions or concerns, please reach out to:
Sara Horwitz – Camp Manager
E: email@example.com (preferred method of communication)